Monday, March 16, 2015

Well, after a somewhat long period of anticipation, my two home road units and caboose arrived in the mail today from Kendall at The Blue Caboose custom painting service.  I must say, while I liked the pictures that he had sent me previously, I actually LOVE the way the units look in person.  They are a deeper color than I first thought and look the part much better than I'd hoped.






Both of the GP38's have RC antenna stands on the cab that Kendall installed for me.  These units are numbered to reflect being part of a larger fleet of probably 12-15 units in the WestRail fleet.

The caboose looks great as well but I think I need to remove the running boards and trim the ladders to just the roofline.  Otherwise, I'm thrilled with this "shoving platform" as well.

I think it is very ironic that the units arrived the day after I installed my track.  I ordered these over two years ago and so the timing is pretty interesting.  I guess he knew better than me when I'd be needing them.  :-)

One total sidenote, and quite a bummer, is that the switch from the main to the stub end siding in the last picture above (with the grey hopper leading) somehow got Liquid Nailed shut.  I tried to be super careful not to get the adhesive under the moving parts of the switches but this one got messed up. When I tried to "loosen it up" to see if it would throw, I ended up breaking a key piece off.  Ugh.  I'm going to have to somehow pry up the track and put in a new switch (if I have one - haven't looked) but I can still serve everything but the transload yard so it's not a total disaster.

I'm going to try to get it wired up this week and break out the PowerCab and see how things go.  :-)


2 comments:

  1. The new motive power looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just noticed your previous comment. Thanks for the compliment on the power. I've always wanted some power painted from my own ideas and Kendall did a great job interpreting that for me.

      Delete