Sunday, April 13, 2014

One thing I'm going to need is a number of warehouse structures on my layout.  For the most part they can be shallow relief/backdrop style buildings, so nothing too elaborate.  I have one of the Nu-Line warehouse's that I've never assembled, so I thought about cutting it in half basically in order to make two separate buildings.  However, only one side is really suitable for receiving boxcars of product so while I might still do that, I'm going to wait and see what my exact needs are.

In the interim, I decided to build a temporary structure to see how it would look, fit, etc.  I didn't want to spend money on this so I looked around to see what I could use.  I manage a local quick service restaurant and I sometimes will grab old menu panels and other marketing materials - free stuff, basically.  You never know what you can do with it, right? 

Anyhow, I grabbed a small menu panel that was no longer used that was made of a thick almost Masonite-like material.  I figured that'd be a good starting point.


I used the Nu-Line warehouse wall as a template to size up this structure.  I then used some stiff foam backing that was on another sign to help frame up the backside. 


It was a pretty easy build, really, though due to a couple of break-ins last year I was temporarily down to just a Ginzu II knife that was purchased years ago at the state fair.  Oye.  Nonetheless, not only can it slice open a soda can then slice a tomato, it can also do a lot in the train room (to my wife's chagrin). Anyhow, I scored the sides with the Ginzu knife, giving it the segmented look like the Nu-Line structure. 

I topped it with a simple piece of black foamboard purchased at the dollar store, then painted it a basic tan color.


It's hard to tell from the photo but I purposely made the left end about 1" or so shallower than the right end to put it at an angle.  I was taking inspiration from a structure locally in Tacoma that sits at an angle to the branch passing by and thought it added a little interest. 

For the doors I simply Googled pictures of warehouse doors and then printed them out into a size that seemed to scale out appropriately.  They are just glue-sticked on for now.  I would have cut a hole for each but doing that with the serrated Ginzu knife seemed like an insane proposition.  This works fine.  :-)

Finally, I used a piece of some sort of hard plastic from an exterior marketing panel to create overhangs for the doors.  I don't really like them so will replace them when I get the gumption, but for now they serve the purpose, including helping me position a boxcar centered on the door. 


The black thing above the center door is a peel and stick number that I think came with some Atlas track components at some point - can't remember now.  Anyhow, I was seeing if numbering each door would look good.  I'll do it, but won't use these. 

When the time comes and I'm happy with the location of the warehouse, I might do a little more to it to make it more complete looking until such time as I decide to replace it.  Frankly, unless you stare at it, it doesn't seem like it will stand out as "poor" for my purposes.  If nothing else, it get's me started with an industry that I can serve.

Right now I'm planning to use it for a food manufacturer similar to one outlined by Lance Mindheim in a recent MR issue.  I have a set of silos (also from Elvin Howland) that I'll position at the right end.  The will receive plastic pellets on an adjacent track, along with a vegetable oil tank car (which was recently crushed by the mirror in an earlier post, which somehow managed to fall over on my yard even though the tacks holding it remained in place??).  It should make a nice industry to model.

Thanks for reading along!

-Dave



No comments:

Post a Comment